Monday, January 31, 2011

My Grown-up Kitchen Re-do....

Last weekend, hubby and I decided it was time to paint the kitchen!
After all, we hadn't painted it in about 9 years.
We liked the color....
lots of people seemed to, but you know how it is
when you just need to freshen things up a bit.
It was time to rid the kitchen of all of my
cheffy stuff.  I had already
started doing so last year.
By removing the chef pictures
 that hung along the
big wall of our kitchen and adding a hutch.
Which we both love, but,
because of the size of the room
with 11 ft. ceilings, the hutch seems too small.
But, for now it works!


~Before~
For some reason, I could only find this
 old picture with the chef pic's.


So pictures were removed....


and many holes were patched....


and the painting began....
Am I going to like this?


Oh My....
What am I doing?

We started painting at about 7:30 a.m.
and finished at about 3:30 p.m.
Not bad considering all the odd wall spaces
to be painted.  But, I was in charge of doing
 all the cutting in and edging. 
Hubby did all the rolling. 
We worked well together for the most part!



~After~

These pictures are alittle dark. 
I didn't think I needed the lights on. 
It's not a sunny gloomy day!
As for my new kitchen....I am loving it!
We hung just a few pieces from before.
The wine holders on the wall are new....
3 years ago from Ikea, but never got hung.
Of course my Chef statue and my bread board
were definitely invited back!


Hubby spray painted my 3 tier plate stand
black for me, it was gold.
I bought 3 tannish colored plates
to compliment it and loaded it with
fresh fruit!



Next plan is to replace the old white microwave
with the matching stainless steel to go with
our fridge, oven and dishwasher.


The pot rack was re-hung.
And an old steamship menu was framed
and hung above the pot rack.
It's in french....
our french son is the only one in
the house that can read it!


I started collecting dish towels and such
about a year or so ago, with colors I  dreamt
of having in my grown-up kitchen. I knew I
wanted to do something in the
brown, mocha and carmel colors. 
But, still have some fun colors in there
to use as accents.  This towel is one of them.
I bought it at World Market.  Love the colors!


Our next project in the kitchen is to do
a tile back splash behind our
stove and microwave.
I picked this up yesterday at Lowe's. 
We both love it and it looks great with the color
we chose and the cabinets!

I picked this up at Pottery Barn
in the clearance area.
It was originally $29.00....
I paid $9.00!
Not bad and the colors match and the
peacock ties in with our dining room!


These faux plants are all over the Pottery Barn
store.  They are on table tops and under cloches.
This one was in the clearance area because the
terra cotta pot had broken and it was just the
plant in the styrofoam.  With pot it was
$12.00....without pot $3.97.
I had a pot!




 This is the color we painted our kitchen.
It's called Peat Moss
and it's Valspar paint I believe. 
It takes on different shades in my kitchen
as the natural light changes
or the light fixtures are turned on. 
 I am very happy with the turn out
and have gotten lots of thumbs up from
the family.  Now the bathroom off the kitchen
needs updating too!  Hmmm.....
what color will I choose?

8 comments:

  1. LOVE it Lisa. It looks great! I painted my bedroom furniture with Valspar paint last winter in just about the same shade but a little darker. REALLY love the backsplash tile choice. I so need my hub's to do a backsplash in our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the tile. The color really takes the kitchen in an entirely different look, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I love it!
    I just painted our bedroom a similar chocolate color and am loving it!
    I would have never in a million years thought I'd paint anything BROWN!
    But it really is a wonderful warm color!
    I am mixing mine with pinks and creams!

    Smiles, Dolly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful - and so grown up! Great choice. How about an oatmeal color for the bath? Have fun decorating, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kitchen looks fabulous...I wish I could be a bit more brave with darker colors!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitchen turned out beautifully! Great color.

    ~Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks wonderful! I'm so glad that you and your hubby worked well together. It's no fun otherwise. And I really like the way you decorated the top of your hutch to make it seem even taller. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! I love the colors and the accents you are using:>)

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...