Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My Mom....

The BEST Mom anyone could have!

Loves Life....


and her "grand babies"....
and the great grand babies too!

I am writing this to ask for prayers. Approximately 2 weeks ago, my mother woke up in pain during the middle of the night. My father of course got up with her and tried to comfort her, giving her Tylenol and trying to comfort her as best he could. At 4:30 a.m. the pain was so bad he had to call the ambulance to take her to the hospital. About 5-6 yrs ago, she tripped over an end pallet in a home improvement store and the ball of her shoulder was crushed. She had to have surgery and had a metal plate and screws put in to even have any movement at all with that arm. She has never been able to raise her arm on that side to even comb her own hair.
She is right handed, it is her right arm!
She did okay for awhile until now. She has been in emergency 3 times in the last 2 weeks, in pain so excruciating that the Valium and Tylenol doesn't even help. The morphine shot she was given messed up her system and she has been sick to her stomach. At night, she would try and catch some sleep sitting in her chair and Dad on the couch....Dad's a bit hard of hearing and a few nights ago he didn't hear her when she got up to use the bathroom. When she finally got his attention and he tried to help her back in her chair....she missed and slipped out of the chair and fell to the floor, damaging her right knee. She is now in the hospital, has been since Saturday morning....in excruciating pain. I went down on Sunday and spent the day at her side. The medications are so strong she is saying things out of her head. I was there when the first physical therapist came in and "tried" to make her stand up! It never happened....she's in so much pain, but she tried! Ended up with her in tears apologizing for crying and being a baby....which made me end up in tears! I told her that any grown man in the same position would be in tears too!
She's 79 yrs old and 122 lbs...if that!
She's a fighter for sure!
For some reason the x-rays on her have not been read up to this point. I am certain that somewhere something must be broken and not just deterioration from her osteoarthritis in her neck and her plate in her shoulder....she's in too much pain!
Last night the hospital had to call one of my sister's in to stay with her, they couldn't get her to calm down. Tonight another sister will stay with her. They live a short distance from there. I am going tomorrow after I drop off my youngest to school. I live the furthest, an hour and half away, so it is not as easy to go down, especially with a daughter in school and active afterschool. But they are in desperate need of a break and they have day jobs as well. She will more then likely end up in a rehabilitation facility, that is best at this point. She seems to need more care in the evening hours, the nurses say as people age that happens. Dad will be 80 yrs next week, he isn't able to care for her as needed at night. That is when the confusion sets in and she needs her family to know she is okay and not being taken hostage....that is what the meds are doing to her!
I love to spend time with my mom....but it sure is hard when it is this way!
Thank you in advance for your prayers....they are surely needed!

12 comments:

  1. your Mother is so beautiful! I know how hard it is when you can't be by their side 24/7...I shall be holding her in my prayers sweetie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little lady and I pray that she comes thru this okay and is out of pain! It makes me so sad to see this, and I worry for you. Please know that I am thinking of you and your family! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother is a beautiful lady and it breaks my heart to know she is confused and in pain. Prayers going out to her and all of you. You will need them, too, Lisa. You really are going to be stressed.

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh honey, I'm so sorry for all this with your mom. What a stressful time for your family and it's so very, very sad to hear your mom is in pain. I hope the problem gets figured out soon. Please keep us posted and meantime, your mom and all your family will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saying a prayer for comfort for your mom and all of you. Also for guidance for the medical community to know what to do for your mother. And I am also praying for her healing and clarity of mind. And we'll toss all you gals in and your dad, too, as it's so hard to stand by when these events are happening to a loved one. One can begin to feel a little out of it. Don't hesitate to call in the troops...mom's friends, family, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear! This is the very thing I fear with all my heart. That something like this will happen to me. I will be 74 shortly and am fearful of my children being in the exact position your family is in.
    My mother had a similar thing happen to her at about that age. She stepped out the back door and her osteoporosis was so bad that her leg just broke under her weight..and she was not a heavy woman either.
    I lived nearly two hours away and my sister lived within a few moments so it was mostly up to her..but I did drive down when I could to take Mom to the hospital, but when her leg broke she ended up exactly where your mother is. In so much pain...did the therapy ...all of it. The brothers lived far away also..

    This is a difficult time for all of you.
    She is a lovely woman...and this is so sad for her.
    Of course we will pray for her...for all of you.

    Would you believe that I went out and bought a bike yesterday and went riding on it today?? I KNOW that is risky..and that I am probably being foolish..
    Such a thing could happen to me...to anyone.
    Getting older is so hard. So hard!!

    I hope so much that she will get better...and that things work out for your family and you.
    I think this is a thing that many families go through. Your poor sweet Mom!!
    Love and hugs to you,
    Mona

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have all of my heartfelt prayers for both your mother and your father. I have aging parents too and I fully understand the difficulties of aging. First of all, I would say to have faith and to trust the rehabilitation. It may take a while but they can help your Mom. Secondly, take each day as it comes. Take good care of yourself so that you can take care of them. If you weaken, email me and I will be happy to lend an ear and help in any way I can. God Bless you and your parents.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you and family are going through this. Both of my grandmothers lived to early 80's and needed to live in a nursing care
    facility. It just got to be too much for the children to handle, even though both sides tried very hard to delay the inevitable. I know this weighs on your heart, and I truly hope that you and the family find some peace in dealing with the transition.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lisa,
    My goodness, poor mama. I hope the Doctors find out "WHY" she is in so much pain with her shoulder and now her knee from the fall. Darn meds they can really make you loopy.I will pray for mama. Dad must be so worried, poor guy.
    Big hugs from you all,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Lisa...I know you're not familiar with my blog....but I've been through what you're going through with my parents. What's happening to your dear mom at night is called "sundowning", common with the elderly...particularly after a fall, being in an unfamiliar place, etc. Hang in there. I will add her to my prayer list~xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lisa my prayers are with you all at this time. I hope your Mom is doing much better. Let us know how things are going for her.

    Blessings to you and yours. ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh sweetie, I will definitely add your beautiful Mama to my prayer list along with you and your sis's. It's hard as parents age and becomes all consuming. My MIL is 82 and still lives alone. She is about 1/4 mi. from our house here on the Ponderosa but her needs are growin'. My parents are 80-81 and live 1145 miles from me. Dad has battled leukemia over 20 years and is in poor health. It's hard but we can only do the best we can do. Take care and know that I'm lifitin' you Mama's health needs up in prayer.

    Ya'll have a beautifully blessed day from the sunny hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would enjoy hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...